About U.S. Digital Response
U.S. Digital Response (USDR) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that helps governments and organizations respond quickly and efficiently to support the critical needs of the public.
Leveraging an amazing internal team along with a network of pro-bono technical expertise and modern, resilient technology, USDR addresses and uncovers solutions for common, systemic challenges that public servants are facing, leaving them better equipped to deliver services and support to millions of people nationwide.
We operate with humility and deep respect for our partners and believe that modern and resilient technology applied in the public interest can deliver people-centered services at the speed of need.
Since March 2020, USDR’s projects have impacted 42M+ people in 37 U.S. states and territories. We've built deep partnerships with over 230 government and nonprofit partners, strong expertise across more than 300 projects, and repeatable processes to solve some of the most pressing challenges in order to help government meet the critical needs of people today, while building digital resilience to stand up to the crises of tomorrow.
Learn more about our last year in our annual impact report, Demos not Memos in 2021: A Look Back.
About the Economic Stability Program
USDR’s Economic Stability Program combines a number of initiatives focused on providing economic stability to people in our communities in the wake of the pandemic to help them to rebuild their lives and spur prosperity throughout the nation. The Economic Stability Program:
- Provides support to states modernizing their unemployment systems to ensure benefits can be accessed easily by those eligible for benefits through technical assistance with a focus on improving language access for limited English proficiency applicants.
- Assures that reporting barriers never stand in the way of government maximizing the use of every grant dollar they receive through grants reporting tools.
- Identifies future opportunities to improve how urgently needed resources efficiently and equitably reach the people who need them most. One example is our work helping state and local housing authorities assure they are getting resources to tenants and landlords in need as quickly as possible through tools to administer rental assistance programs.
USDR’s Economic Stability program is looking for a Program Lead to:
- Lead the Economic Stability team and set direction for how USDR can help government partners leverage the best of technology in order to deliver economic benefits quickly and securely to the people who need it most
- Build and maintain trusted relationships with government partners and key stakeholders in the ecosystem, especially acting as a bridge between federal agencies distributing this once-in-a-lifetime money and the local and state governments tasked with getting that money into the hands of people
- Identify opportunities to have impact at scale.
- Ensure that USDR has a skilled, passionate, and committed team to deliver on the Economic Stability strategy
- Represent USDR to government partners at every level of government and be the subject matter expert they need
This role will expand our current work with government partners who are on the front lines helping residents get back on their feet, leading service delivery projects on which USDR staff and volunteers can deliver while also developing specific products that can scale and make an impact on residents across the country.
About the role
When USDR partners reach out with a complex problem or workflow, they need to know that USDR teams will simply and quickly understand and solve their problems. The Program Lead is responsible for ensuring that the Economic Stability program has the depth of knowledge, vision, and ability to deliver, shaping USDR offerings in this space and coaching multiple cross-functional teams to deliver on our partners’ needs. You will coach the Economic Stability team through actual tech discovery, testing, and delivery work. You’ll work with multiple levels of government and non-governmental organizations, interfacing with executive-level agency stakeholders, individual engineers, support personnel, and everyone in between.
You will identify trends across our current projects in Unemployment Insurance, Federal Grants management, and other public benefits. You will forecast opportunities for building out products and strategies for pushing policy changes to bring our existing successes to scale.
You might be a good fit for this role if you’re a senior policy advisor, government executive, or delivery manager with deep experience in economic stability programs, technology, and/or innovation teams.
This is a full-time, paid position with competitive pay and benefits.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure the strategic direction of the Economic Stability Program is driving the team’s work
- Hire, develop, and retain a talented team to deliver on the Economic Stability strategy, while cultivating a positive and humble culture aligned to USDR’s values (Documented in the Volunteer Oath).
- Help USDR’s Economic Stability Program to adjust course as new information or changes in the policy landscape emerge.
- Build and extend credible relationships to operate effectively in the context of working with government partners - knowing their constraints, challenges, hopes, and fears, and showing up accordingly with empathy, respect for their time, and effective solutions.
- Ensure USDR grant requirements are met and support engagement with funders.
- Deliver results in terms of desired impact and scale, ensuring that USDR’s work is conducted with a bias towards action.
- Collaborate with USDR’s marketing and outreach teams to tell the story of USDR’s work in this portfolio with a focus on growing the partner base for our repeat plays.
- Represent USDR and the values of our Volunteer Oath in your work.
Qualified candidates will have:
- 8+ years of experience in leading policy or product management or development, working closely with policy, engineering, design, and user research teams.
- Ideal candidates will have experience working with both federal and local levels of government.
- 6+ years of management experience leading policy or product teams.
- Experience managing high-performing and functioning teams through coaching with and an emphasis on working collaboratively.
- Existing (or experience building) diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships.
- Interest in supporting equitable, effective access to public services using modern technology, design, and research practices.
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects and multi-task with excellent organization skills and a strict attention to detail.
- Comfort thinking outside the box to find amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Strong communication skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders, including complex external partners (such as regulatory bodies, government entities, large enterprise partners).
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Awareness of privacy, security, and compliance practices, ideally with prior experience working in regulated industries.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the role is filled. USDR will conduct an application and resume review, followed by a series of interviews with various members of the USDR team. We are aiming to fill this role quickly.
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary, consistent with similar roles in other tech non-profits in the Bay Area where USDR is headquartered. The annual salary range for this role is $150,000-$180,000, depending on experience.
- Full health, dental and vision benefits (USDR pays 100% of the cost for our employees and 80% of the cost for their dependents).
- 401K with a matching contribution of up to 3 percent of your pay with $1 for each dollar you contribute and for more than 3 percent and up to 5 percent of your pay with $0.50 for each dollar you contribute.
- An equipment reimbursement for the purchase of a computer and peripheral devices of up to $2,000 along with a Work from Home allowance of $100 each month to support employees as they navigate working from home.
- A discretionary budget of $500 per year per employee for learning and development along with an organization-wide L&D budget to support individuals and teams with work-related learning and development expenses
- A supportive community where everyone can thrive and find a balance between working hard to make a difference and taking care of themselves. This means that we are committed to a fully remote work environment (for US-based employees) along with flexible schedules and time off policies that work with your life.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, political party affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage and welcome all interested potential applicants, regardless of background or prior experience volunteering with U.S. Digital Response, to apply.